Thursday, June 14, 2012

Reboot Day 8

Well, I decided to be really brave two days ago and try to put both babies down for a nap in the same room.  So far, the cleaning challenges have kept me upstairs in my bedroom, which meant that I could work hard and make noise during nap time without waking anyone.  I am now ready to do my own cleaning challenges downstairs, though.  Thatcher has slept downstairs in his pack n' play for most of his life, which makes it hard for me to do anything in the kitchen during nap time.

I have been feeling like such a supermom lately that I figured, "Why could I not put them down in the same room?"  They are both finicky sleepers, but both had slept through a thunderstorm and power outage the day before, so I figured it would be no big deal.  Boy was I wrong!  What a nightmare!  After 30 minutes of double screaming, I decided that it wasn't worth it and put Thatcher back downstairs.  We will try again in another 9 months.  Haha!

Because of this, I'm only about half way through on the laundry and dishes.  I took all of the excess clothes and baby gear to storage.  I still need to do a Goodwill trip and deal with the mail.  I hope to finish this over the weekend.

The Mary challenge from yesterday was to think of houses that I have visited that have made me feel loved.  I immediately thought about homes that have hosted Bible study groups over the years.  Most homes that have had me overnight also have made me feel loved.  Most of these have several elements in common:  Food, Laughter, a sense of Family.  They were also neat and clean.  Not spotless, but tidy.  They were comfortable.  I always felt at ease to make a mess (and help clean it up) while cooking in the kitchen or to walk barefooted on the carpet.  My husband and I have always said that we hope to someday have a "Bible study house."  We would love to have place that is big enough to host big groups of people.  Our kids' friends, the youth group, college students...we would love to have a home that could be a home away from home for many and hope to create that same comfortable atmosphere.

The Bible app that is on my iPhone sends a daily devotional and verse to my email.  This was today's verse (The Message paraphrase):

"So let's not allow ourselves to get fatigued doing good.  At the right time we will harvest a good crop if we don't give up, or quit.  Right now, therefore, every time we get the chance, let us work for the benefit of all, starting with the people closest to us in the community of faith."  Galatians 6:9

This made me think of my family.  I can't wear myself out trying to see to everything.  I just need to do what I can, when I can, and make sure we are growing in the right direction.


No comments:

Post a Comment