Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Day 3, 4, and 5 of the Reboot Challenge

The past few days have been wonderful for helping get me motivated to finish up cleaning our bedroom.  In true Martha form, I finished organizing my night stand, cleaning under the bed, and managed to get several boxes packed up for storage.

The Mary challenges over the past 3 days have really given me a lot of food for thought.  So much food, in fact, that I had no idea where to begin to put it into words, which has delayed my blogging about it.  Here's what I've come up with so far:   

1.  When I have been tempted to sit and watch TV or browse Facebook, I have been convicted to ask myself, "Am I being lazy?  Am I being selfish?"  I had really never equated the two of these until I began these challenges.  As a stay-at-home mom of "Irish twins," I have had so many people tell me to be sure I take time for myself lest I lose my ever-loving mind. :-)  I am still grappling with this.  Isn't it selfish to take time for myself?  But isn't it also important that I keep myself on my priority list?  I'm not sure where I will land on this yet, except for the thought that taking time for myself does not have to mean being lazy.

2.  Diligence (the opposite of laziness) means "constant and earnest effort to accomplish what is undertaken; persistent exertion of body or mind."  It hit me when I read this definition:  there is no in between!  If I take a day to kick back and not worry about the laundry, I am no longer being diligent.  I have seen this happen.  I can spend every spare second keeping the house straight, and then if I take one afternoon off, the house seems to revert back to a week's worth of mess!  Wow.  The thought kind of makes me tired, but in a way it is also encouraging.  I know that if I am not pressing ahead, I am not being diligent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment